- Business journalism, financial analysis, breaking news, feature articles.
- Copy-editing, impeccable English, AP Style.
- Work ethic, calmness under pressure.
- Ability to lead teams, introduce new working practices and develop skills.
- Amiable, confident interviewer.
- Able public speaker.
2012 to 2013 – St Antony’s College, University of Oxford
MSc (Distinction) Russian and Eastern European Studies
2006 to 2009 – University of Leeds
BA (First class) in Modern History
2004 to 2006 – Sir George Monoux College
A Levels in English, Law, and History – All grade A
Journalism and Editorial Experience – Current
Editor-in-Chief, Activist Insight (www.activistinsight.com)
- Established the company’s first U.S. office in New York City, launched series of networking events for professionals that grew to 100+ attendees.
- Write the company’s flagship weekly column, important longform articles, break news, and oversee a team of six reporters.
- Responsible for the relationship between data and editorial teams, reporters’ familiarity with data sources and limitations.
- Launched and oversee Activist Insight Monthly, the only magazine dedicated to shareholder activism, The Activist Investing Annual Review, a definitive overview of trends and key campaigns, set standards for the Activist Insight Online and Activist Insight Shorts newswires and pioneered writing of reports on companies vulnerable to activism for Activist Insight Vulnerability.
- Frequently asked to speak on issues of shareholder activism and corporate governance. With a colleague, helped launch The Activist Insight Podcast.
- Interview billionaire investors, partners in international law firms and institutional fund managers.
- Ensured our research featured in Wall Street Journal, FT, Fortune Magazine, CityAM, Reuters, Bloomberg, by writing press releases, giving interviews and maintaining relationships with journalists.
- Appeared on Sky News and CNBC to discuss shareholder activism.
- Created lucrative sponsorship opportunities through high-quality publications and special reports.
- Responsible for recruitment and training.
Founder and Editor – Vostok Cable (www.vostokcable.co.uk)
While at Oxford University, I founded this highly successful blog (44,000 views and devoted social media following of over 1,000), aimed at postgraduate students in the field of Russian and East European Studies.
- Created the concept and brought together a team of editors and contributors.
- Organised and sourced material through social media.
- Discovered writers at Harvard, UCL, Bologna, Glasgow, etc.
- Spoke on academic blogging at UCL SSEES postgraduate conference (by invitation).
- Interviewed Anne Applebaum (LSE), Ed Lucas (The Economist), Robert Service.
Associate Editor – Free Speech Debate (www.freespeechdebate.com)
After being asked to join the core editorial team for this Oxford University research project by Professor Timothy Garton Ash, I was tasked with ensuring high standards of written English from mainly foreign contributors.
- Hourly turnaround copy editing for this Oxford University research project.
- Social media manager (Facebook, google+, twitter/hootsuite).
- Reported on lecture by UN High Commissioner Navi Pillay.
- Interviewed NSA whistle-blowers and intelligence professionals.
Intern – The Economist
As a summer intern at the London headquarters of The Economist I was rotated around several desks, gaining valuable experience of:
- Fact-checking and proof-reading.
- Newsroom insight and editorial decision-making.
Outside of my day-to-day work I have contributed to region-specific blogs, local sports media and student newspapers, including but not limited to:
- London24 (rugby blog),
- New Eastern Europe,
- Visegrad Insight,
- Presidential Power,
- The View East,
- Oxford Student,
- Leeds Student,
- History Student Times.
Other Relevant Experience
Associate – Rollings Oliver LLP (Now Rollings Butt)
- Developed a keen understanding of corporate insolvency practices.
- Reported daily on legal issues, business failures, and directors’ conduct.
- Relationship building for business development.
- Led on cases with complex legal aspects, including litigation and property disputes.
Intern – ACEVO
- Ghost-authored articles for The Guardian and company press releases,
- Managed website and performed a high level of research.
Interests and Activities
Travel Backpacked around USA, Balkans, Russia and Eastern Europe.
Sport Blogger, panelist and host of student radio show. Rugby fan.
Arts Watcher of plays, reader of books, keen blues and country fan.
Charity General volunteer at Crisis at Christmas (2008, 2012).